This article is about Mad Honey book club questions that you can discuss with your group at your next meeting. The novel is co-written by Jodi Picoult and Jennifer Finney Boylan. It explores themes of domestic violence, abuse, and gender identity through its compelling characters. Both authors bring their expertise and insight to create an engaging and emotionally charged story. It is a must-read for anyone interested in exploring these complex and challenging issues.
What is MAD HONEY novel about?
The novel ‘Mad Honey’ is about domestic violence, relationship abuse, and gender identity. It tells the story of 18-year-old Asher Fields, who is accused of murdering his girlfriend Lily Campanello. His mother initially believes in his innocence, but she can’t help. Yet she can see similarities between Asher and his father, who was her abusive ex-husband.
The book raises important questions about the nature of violence and its effects on those who experience it. As readers navigate Asher’s journey, they are forced to confront their own beliefs and assumptions about relationships and gender expression.
Mad Honey book club discussion questions
1. What is the significance of the title “Mad Honey” and how does it relate to the story? If you want to give it another title, what would it be?
2. How does Lily’s experience with transphobia affect her relationship with her mother? And what societal problems has the author reflected on through this?
3. Why do you think Ava Campanello was hesitant to allow Lily to have gender confirmation surgery?
4. How does Lily’s experience at the Valentine’s Day dance affect her mental health?
5. Why did Olivia keep the true nature of Asher’s father a secret from Asher? Do you think her decision was correct?
6. How does Asher’s relationship with his father influence his behavior towards Lily?
7. Why do you think Asher kept his meetings with his father a secret from Olivia?
8. What role does Maya play in the story, and how does she impact Lily’s life?
9. Why do you think Lily was hesitant to tell Asher she was trans?
10. How does Lily’s death impact the characters in the book, and how do they cope with the loss?
11. After Lily was killed, based on Asher’s previous behavior, did you think Asher was the real killer or did you suspect someone else?
You might also like:
12. What is the significance of Asher’s confession at the trial, and how does it impact the case?
13. How does Olivia’s experience with abuse influence her perspective on Asher’s case?
14. What is the significance of the expert pathologist’s testimony in the trial?
15. What is the significance of the alternating perspectives between Olivia and Lily?
16. How does the structure of the book, with Olivia’s timeline moving forward and Lily’s moving backward, impact your reading experience?
17. How does the book explore themes of identity and acceptance?
18. What does the story reveal about the experiences of trans youth and the challenges they face in society and in their personal lives?
19. What role do secrets play in the story? How do they affect the characters’ relationships and actions?
20. How does the book address the issue of domestic violence, both physical and emotional, and its impact on the characters?
21. What is the significance of the setting of Point Reyes, California, and Adams, New Hampshire?
22. How do the characters’ relationships with their families impact the story?
23. How does the story deal with the theme of forgiveness, particularly in the aftermath of trauma and loss?
24. What are your thoughts on the legal system’s handling of Asher’s trial and the portrayal of the criminal justice system in the book?
These were the discussion questions for the book ‘Mad Honey’ by Jodi Picoult. Now we will suggest some books by the same author that you can consider for the next reading:
We hope you find these book club questions for Mad Honey useful. And your group meeting will be enjoyable.
Kamran is a literature graduate from a reputed university. He started his journey in the world of writing blogs in 2012. Over the years, his passion for writing and love of books evolved into a dedicated book blog. With a discerning eye from a literature lover, he offers reviews, summaries, and thought-provoking discussion questions.