If you are looking for a discussion guide for The Diamond Eye book club questions then this post is useful for you. The Diamond Eye by Kate Quinn is a historical fiction novel. It is based on the true story of Mila Pavlichenko. She was a Soviet sniper who became a national hero during World War II.
Before reading the discussion questions, if you wish, you can read The Diamond Eye book summary and review.
The Diamond Eye book club questions
1. What was your favorite part of the book and why?
2. What did you think of Mila’s personality and her development from a bookish student to a deadly sniper?
3. What did you think of Mila and Eleanor Roosevelt’s friendship?
4. Why do you believe Mila’s narrative is significant, and what effect do you think she had on history?
5. How did you feel about the book’s gruesome content, particularly the war scenes and Mila’s killings?
6. We know that Mila is a soldier as well as a mother. How did her struggle to juggle both sides affect your opinion of her character?
7. How do you see Mila’s decision to join the army and become a sniper? If you were in her place, would you have made the same decision?
8. What did you think of the author’s handling of the book’s historical background and setting?
9. How did you feel about the ending of the book?
10. How did you think about the relationship between Mila and her son throughout the book?
11. Discuss Mila’s relationship with her fellow sniper. How do you see them?
12. How did the author’s note affect your understanding and appreciation of the book?
13. What other works of historical fiction would you contrast this one with, and how does it compare?
14. How do you like the author’s portrayal of the war and the soldiers involved?
You might also like:
- Verity Book Club Questions For Discussion
- Wrong Place Wrong Time Book Club Discussion Questions
- American Dirt Book Summary And Review
15. What did you think of the book’s flow and the way the narrative was presented?
16. What impact did Mila’s wartime experiences have on her attitude toward life and her interpersonal relationships?
17. What did you make of the title and its importance for the book?
18. Discuss the supporting characters in this book. What are your impressions of Mila’s fellow soldiers and especially her enemies?
19. What was the most memorable quote from the book for you? And why did it affect you?
20. Before reading this book, what were your thoughts about World War II and the role of women in it? And has reading this book changed your perception?
21. How did Mila’s wartime experiences affect her character and point of view? How did her experience as a sniper impact her relationships with others both during and after the war?
22. How does the novel examine the concept of heroism, particularly in light of Mila’s sniper-like actions? Do you think she was a hero? Or do you think there are other, more sophisticated definitions of bravery?
23. How does the fact that the book is based on a true story influence how you read it? Do you believe the author has captured the historical setting and events properly? Or do you think she has taken artistic license with the original text?
24. The relationship that Mila had with Eleanor Roosevelt plays a big aspect in the story. What does the progression of this relationship say about both characters? What effects do they have on one another?
25. What Eleanor means when she says that “a Russian bullet has given me peace and safety to do it” is unclear in the passage from her notes at the end of the book. Does this imply that she supports Mila’s sniper tactics? Or is there another meaning behind her words?
Books for your next reading
These were the Diamond Eye book club questions. Now if you want to know about more books by Kate Quinn then below we have given some book names and links. You can learn more about them through these links.
We hope you will surely like The Diamond Eye book club questions given above. And we wish you an enjoyable and interesting group meeting.
Kamran is a literature graduate from a reputed university. He started his journey in the world of writing blogs in 2012. Over the years, his passion for writing and love of books evolved into a dedicated book blog. With a discerning eye from a literature lover, he offers reviews, summaries, and thought-provoking discussion questions.